Sponsor a Child Programme
It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
Although raising a child is very expensive, the government of Jamaica offers only approximately 40% of the cost. Homeless children are the special priority of the sponsorship programme, but the Sponsor a Child Programme was established in the hopes of obtaining at least one sponsor per child.
- A pledge of $25/month from a sponsor helps SJB provide for ongoing needs such as:
- The special needs of each child
- Extra medical or dental care
- Clothing and food
- Special education needs
- Provision of training for a trade
- Development of employment skills
- Or provide for one-time necessities such as
- Special clothing for work
- Purchase of a bed when they leave SJB
- Supports the boys in their education:
- Concentration is on remedial and primary education, as most of the boys come from years on the street with very little if any, formal education.
- The boys are placed in grades according to their educational ability rather than according to their age.
- It is our aim to make them functionally literate and numerate and given a skill mainly in catering, meat cutting, and processing.
What Do You Receive?
In addition to the satisfaction that you are helping a child in need, and contributing to the improvement in his quality of life, you will receive
- a laminated picture of the child, with a brief personal history
- monthly acknowledgements of your pledge
- written correspondence from time to time from the child you have sponsored.
Please click here to download the Sponsorship Programme Application